Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Artsy Fartsy

Hey All, 
How is everyone doing? Summer is over, and I'm excited to say it's almost FALL! I love fall for so many reasons, mostly because of the smell of dead leaves falling to the ground. I also love that Starbucks puts out there Pumpkin Spice Latte, which to me taste like fall. I have heard from many people i know that they enjoy this season more than summer or winter. It's a great time to start walking, running, and working out. The trees are changing, leave  fall gracefully in the air towards the earth, it's not to hot not to cold. Great Vest and scarf weather, which is just what i wanted to share with you today. I have been keeping myself busy crocheting scarfs for friends, to baby blankets for almost family. There is nothing that i enjoy more than making gifts for people i care about, it gives you a great feeling that no money could buy. 

My first project was a scarf for one of my friends, he loves Sea Rays, so i was able to bring that to the scarf i made for him. Small touches like this make the gift more personable to anyone, i can say he was really thrilled with it. 

Gliding Sea Rays on the water
The scarf itself took me one day to make, i had issues trying to figure out how to make the Sea Rays. I ended up crocheting small boxes, then i measured out extra yarn at the end of my boxes for the tail. I twisted the tail, then glues it down to give the tail a different textured look from the body of the Sea Ray. The hardest part was figuring out what to use for it's eyes. I went upstairs to my craft room, and rummaged through potential eyes for my scarf. Finally aha! I found four pronged metal studs. They reflected color nicely, and gave my Sea Rays that majestic mysterious eyes. All in all he loved the scarf, and i hope to make more in the future.

Before
The next project i made was for my boyfriends sister. She is having a baby Boy! Jeepers creepers I'm so happy for her! So i wanted to make her a baby blanket for little bundle of joy. She chooses the color, and all i had to do is find it, and make it. She wanted a multicolor green blanket where the yarn changes green throughout the blanket. I was lucky to find the yarn at the first craft store i went to. The brand was Caron, nice and soft great coloring. It took me 3 months to make the blanket, and was about to send it out when i had an idea to make the blanket much better. Here is the photo before i added the special add on.

Then here is the after photo with the add on pocket i put in for her. 
After
I added a pocket in the center of the blanket, i was able to find a frog, and turtle finger puppet to sit in there. I also suggested the pocket be used to hold a baby bottle during feedings, instead of putting it down on a table or the floor. She absolutely adored the puppets and the blanket itself. 
Shelly & Kermit



















I hope her baby boy enjoys it as much as i did making it for him. Maybe one day i will make one for myself, who knows what other ideas I'll think up. I hope that you liked my crochet projects, and that it inspired you to take up knitting or crocheting. It saves money on gifts for Birthdays and Christmas, as well as buying a blanket or a scarf at a store. I can't tell you how much money i have saved making blankets for my bed or couch instead of buying one. I also rather make gifts for people because they know i care about them, since i put so much time into there gift.
Make something nice for someone you love, show them they matter. Have a great weekend everyone, and go to your local craft store, and see what new hobby you can take up. 

Sincerely
Retro Girl
















No comments: